NETFLIX SPED UP Meghan Markle’s “PEARL” then abandoned it.
In that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle over promised with their “Your Royal Highness” titles and then lost the titles – the NetFlix Deal has complications. NetFlix took back production control brought in professionals to finish out Meghan Markle’s offering (Pearl).
POSITION: Production Designers for PEARL
With over 204 million subscribers enjoying great content in over 190 countries, it’s an exciting time to work at Netflix.
By serving as a platform for original storytelling, we’re fueled by the broad appeal of being able to instantly enjoy unlimited movies and TV shows and seek to create joy for our members around the world. This guiding principle has informed our commitment to animation, a universal language, and the establishment of Netflix Animation Studios where creative visionaries can perform their best work.
This is the new wave of animation — and you can help shape it. Our goal is to tell stories that no one has seen but that everyone will remember.
We are seeking a Production Designer for Pearl, a CG heartfelt adventure comedy series. Pearl comes from the mind of Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex and centers on the adventures of a 12-year-old girl who finds inspiration in a variety of influential women throughout history.
The Production Designer will help to develop, create, and support the aesthetic vision of our Executive Producer Team, working closely with the Show Runner to design multiple worlds representing various time periods throughout history.
An accomplished artist themselves, the Production Designer must convey direction and visual communication through applied artistic skills. They will work with the CG Supervisor to ensure that the design is compatible with scope, the pipeline and the talent of the partner studio, sharing responsibility to define artistic boundaries and generate clever solutions to work within them.n
What You’ll Do:
- Create development art, production art, and color scripts for the partner studio
- Develop and communicate the style guide and theory; spanning visual development, character design, environment design, and props/fx
- Responsible for creating and executing the visual flow of the series as it relates to the story and emotional intent through design, lighting, and color infrastructure
- Partner with production leadership and technical teams to understand and clarify creative direction and scope, timelines, tools, and budget
- Provide notes and mentorship to the creative team at partner studios, incorporating hands-on drawing, reference, and tools to enable the team to do their best work
- Collaborate with the animation studio partner to communicate direction, provide reference/resources, and optimize workflows
- Collaborate with grace, humility, inclusion, and open-mindedness
What You’ll Need:
- 3-5 years of CG animation production experience
- Expert working knowledge of digital drawing tools such as Photoshop a must
- Considerable knowledge of color theory, lighting, staging, and perspective
- Proven leadership on animated shorts, series, or features
- Excellent verbal, written, and e-social communication skills
- Samples and/or credits demonstrating excellence in roles such as visual development, background paint, color design, or character design
CLICK HERE TO APPLY DIRECTLY TO NETFLIX ON THEIR LINKED IN PAGE
This “Pearl” program of Meghan Markle’s was never released because it was not interesting enough to keep an audience interested. The mock audiences rated it in minus numbers. Just goes to show that just because a reality show participant has “an idea”, that doesn’t mean the project is commercial enough to market.
This failure should have been a clue as to what was to come.