OBAMA ORDERS PENTAGON TO GET OFF THE SOLDIERS’ BACKS!

obamapentagon

[Above]  Robert D’Andrea, a retired Army major and Iraq war veteran, holds a frame with a photo of his team on his first deployment to Iraq in his home in Los Angeles. Nearly 10,000 California National Guard soldiers have been ordered to repay huge enlistment bonuses a decade after signing up to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday. (Al Seib/Los Angeles Times via AP, File)
The Obama administration has ordered the Pentagon to immediately cease demanding the repayment of enlistment bonuses from some 10,000 National Guardsmen who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Defense Finance and Accounting Service argued that the soldiers were not qualified to receive the money or that accounting errors had resulted in improper payments, despite many of them having served multiple tours.

Soldiers from California have been badgering their Congressional representatives about this issue for two years, but Congress has done nothing to alleviate the Pentagon’s demands that soldiers repay money they were given years ago and have certainly earned by putting their lives and limbs on the line serving American interests abroad. Some $70 million was spent by overzealous recruiters looking to fill their quotas that the Pentagon is now looking to get back.

“While some soldiers knew or should have known they were ineligible for benefits they were claiming, many others did not. About 2,000 have been asked, in keeping with the law, to repay erroneous payments. We’re not going to nickel-and-dime them when they get back, and we’re not going to hold service members responsible unfairly for unethical conduct or fraud perpetrated by someone else” said Secretary of Defense Ash Carter. The Obama Administration is now looking to “fast-track” the investigations, which have been dragging on for years.

Let’s see if Obama can actually enforce his order. We say that because we thought we actually had an FBI until FBI Agent McCabe, who had just been promoted to the responsibility of determining the charges and preparation of the indictment for Hillary Clinton, the Clinton Global Initiative and the Clinton Family Foundation.  Once FBI Agent McCabe’s wife, Dr. Jill McCabe, received $640,000, Agent McCabe dropped the investigation against Hillary saying there was no crime.


800

The Pentagon was seeking to recover decade-old reenlistment bonuses paid to thousands of California Army National Guard soldiers to go fight in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday.

Media reported that nearly 10,000 soldiers, many of whom risked their lives during multiple combat tours, had been ordered to repay the cash bonuses after audits revealed widespread over-payments by California Guard officials under pressure to meet enlistment targets at the height of the wars 10 years ago.

soldiersBut soldiers say the military is reneging on old agreements and imposing severe financial hardship on those whose only mistake was to accept the bonuses, which amounted to $15,000 or more.

The Army asked wounded Iraq veteran and former Army captain Christopher Van Meter, 42, to repay a $25,000 reenlistment bonus it said he was ineligible to receive. He was also asked to repay $21,000 in student loan repayments.

Van Meter told the paper that rather than fight the Army he paid back the money after refinancing his home.

“These bonuses were used to keep people in,” Van Meter said. “People like me just got screwed.”


The Times reported that 48-year-old Army sergeant Robert Richmond, who suffered permanent injuries in an Iraq roadside bomb attack, is refusing to repay his $15,000 cash bonus. The Army contends he was ineligible to receive the bonus in 2006 because he had already served 20 years in the Army.

“I signed a contract that I literally risked my life to fulfill,” Richmond told the paper. “We want somebody in the government, anybody, to say this is wrong and we’ll stop going after his money.”

Investigations determined that fraud and mismanagement due to poor oversight contributed to the California Guard bonus over payments, according to the media.

California Guard officials conceded to the paper that taking back the money from military veterans is distasteful.

It happened during Obama’s first term  and it’s happening again now!

 

“At the end of the day, the soldiers ended up paying the largest price,” Maj. Gen. Matthew Beevers, deputy commander of the California Guard, said. “We’d be more than happy to absolve these people of their debts. We just can’t do it. We’d be breaking the law.”


House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., said in a statement that the Department of Defense should “waive these repayments,” and that the House “will investigate these reports to ensure our soldiers are fully honored for their service.”

“It is disgraceful that the men and women who answered their country’s call to duty following September 11 are now facing forced repayments of bonuses offered to them. Our military heroes should not shoulder the burden of military recruiters’ faults from over a decade ago,” he said. “They should not owe for what was promised during a difficult time in our country. Rather, we are the ones who owe a debt for the great sacrifices our heroes have made – some of whom unfortunately paid the ultimate sacrifice..”

 

soldier_1wrap

solder4 soldier_2 soldier_bagdad soldier_bush soldier_humvee soldier3 soldier4 soldier6

Medics clean the emergency room after trying to revive a gravely-wounded soldier at the Ibn Sina Hospital in the heavily-fortified Green Zone in Baghdad, Iraq Sunday, May 6 2007. Since the U.S. security crackdown in Baghdad, medics are seeing an increase in the number and severity of wounded American soldiers. (AP Photo/Maya Alleruzzo)

Medics clean the emergency room after trying to revive a gravely-wounded soldier at the Ibn Sina Hospital in the heavily-fortified Green Zone in Baghdad, Iraq Sunday, May 6 2007. Since the U.S. security crackdown in Baghdad, medics are seeing an increase in the number and severity of wounded American soldiers. (AP Photo/Maya Alleruzzo)


800-1
OBAMA WINS THIS ONE!

[Above]  Robert D’Andrea, a retired Army major and Iraq war veteran, holds a frame with a photo of his team on his first deployment to Iraq in his home in Los Angeles. Nearly 10,000 California National Guard soldiers have been ordered to repay huge enlistment bonuses a decade after signing up to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday. (Al Seib/Los Angeles Times via AP, File)

The Obama administration has ordered the Pentagon to immediately cease demanding the repayment of enlistment bonuses from some 10,000 National Guardsmen who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Defense Finance and Accounting Service argued that the soldiers were not qualified to receive the money or that accounting errors had resulted in improper payments, despite many of them having served multiple tours.

Soldiers from California have been badgering their Congressional representatives about this issue for two years, but Congress has done nothing to alleviate the Pentagon’s demands that soldiers repay money they were given years ago and have certainly earned by putting their lives and limbs on the line serving American interests abroad. Some $70 million was spent by overzealous recruiters looking to fill their quotas that the Pentagon is now looking to get back.

“While some soldiers knew or should have known they were ineligible for benefits they were claiming, many others did not. About 2,000 have been asked, in keeping with the law, to repay erroneous payments. We’re not going to nickel-and-dime them when they get back, and we’re not going to hold service members responsible unfairly for unethical conduct or fraud perpetrated by someone else” said Secretary of Defense Ash Carter. The Obama Administration is now looking to “fast-track” the investigations, which have been dragging on for years.

Let’s see if Obama can actually enforce his order. We say that because we thought we actually had an FBI until FBI Agent McCabe, who had just been promoted to the responsibility of determining the charges and preparation of the indictment for Hillary Clinton, the Clinton Global Initiative and the Clinton Family Foundation.  Once FBI Agent McCabe’s wife, Dr. Jill McCabe, received $640,000, Agent McCabe dropped the investigation against Hillary saying there was no crime.

 

 

Facebook Comments